The correct design of a resume for a job seeker is not just a pass for an interview, it is the same product as household appliances or professional skills. Successfully selling your resume means getting a job in the company you wanted to, and on conditions that are beneficial to the applicant. Therefore, it is imperative to pay attention to the correct information that the person responsible for hiring new employees will receive.
A correctly written resume is the key to success in employment. This is doubly true because many companies resort to the services of a professional recruiter who takes on the responsibility of selecting the most worthy candidates from a large number of candidates. It happens that the number of applications viewed by a specialist reaches 300 per day. In such conditions, only a worthy resume has a chance to get on the table with the head with appropriate recommendations.
The design largely depends on the type of resume for work and must obey several general rules that will determine its focus and quality of execution. Perspective = success. A resume drawn up in accordance with general recommendations works – that is, it arouses the interest of the employer.
Text that lacks structure and formatting is difficult for humans to perceive. If a lot of information about your impressive track record and impressive achievements is typed in solid text, no one wants to delve beyond the third line. In a highly competitive job market, most recruiters do not read every resume, but only skim through it. If each section has a heading, and each piece of information is conveniently highlighted, the recruiter quickly gets what he needs. A resume with solid text is more likely to be put aside.
When a seasoned professional takes over, he often has no problems with the resume. He has something to write. Education in a resume, as well as courses, trainings, achievements in past jobs, companies with a good reputation, where he happened to work … All this looks solid in itself, it is enough to list the achievements dryly. And here’s how to be an average worker. In such conditions, many are trying to compensate for the lack of information with lengthy formulations without concrete meaning. You should not do this – it is better to try to find real achievements – let them take up less space, but contain facts.
There are many great specialists on the labor market, and many of them at different times have worked in highly paid and prestigious positions. But until the employer sees a specific desire to work for him, all information will be like a “gallery of fame” for him. Today, a resume submitted to a company shouldn’t be just a faceless list of candidate features . It should directly tell the employer: “Take me!”, And to a legitimate question: “Why you?” it is already possible to respond using achievements as an argument.
Vague goals in a resume like “to reach your potential” will tell an experienced recruiter only that the applicant did not bother looking for possible options on the Internet too much, chose the first one that came across. Moreover, everyone understands that the main goal of any person in search of work is to receive payment for their work. Power ambition, career advancement, respect, and abstract prestige mean little when the pay isn’t up to the job. Actually, a career is made with a large profit in mind. True, it’s not worth writing about it directly – it’s better to find a balance: “I look forward to a decent payment for a job well done.” Sending a resume to a company that offers good conditions should only be done after a thorough check. Hastily sketched or thoughtlessly downloaded from the Internet, such a resume will not only be ignored by the recruiter, but also make a negative impression. You can also check out the 10 most common resume mistakes.
- Illiteracy and mistakes. Despite the rather simple form and a minimum of lengthy verbal constructions, many make gross mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and style in their resume. And if the last point depends on the originator, then the first two are easily corrected in the corresponding online services.
- Extremes in volume. A half-page resume can be afforded by a negligent student – after all, even during or immediately after study, you can take additional courses, indicate industrial practice and other arguments that compensate for the lack of experience. On the other hand, scribbling everything on 3-4 pages means condemning information to being unread. The optimal volume is 2 pages.
- False information. The most unforgivable mistake. If the information is checked and the truth is found out – this can become a wolf ticket to this field of activity – many employers communicate with each other, and information about a specialist sinning against the truth can become a bad name.
- Start with a photo. The presence is required. According to statistics, resumes without photos are more often sent to the trash unviewed.
- The photo should be clear, preferably in business or neutral clothing. It is better to choose a monochrome background. For a resume, it’s generally better to take a separate staged photo. Just don’t make your face look like a passport – a slight smile will not ruin your business.
- In your contact information, please indicate only one phone number, which is always in touch, and one e-mail address.
- Email it is worth starting on a well-known neutral server, and let only the first and last name in English appear in the address. Do not use mail from a previous job with a special domain.
- Marital status is optional in the header. You can mention this in the “About me” section at the end of the resume – if the employer gets there, then he is really interested in the candidate.
- Adjust the resume for a specific vacancy. When it comes to the position of a salesperson, focus on communication skills. In your engineering resume, list the types of machines and mechanisms with which you are familiar.
- In the achievements, include specific numbers. Interest, profits, number of subordinates, completed projects, solved problems. The specifics look solid.
- Build your career growth as a success story. A downward movement will make you doubt your ambitions.
- Avoid acronyms. All abbreviations should be deciphered.
- Feel free to use plain language. Verbs are good, and in the perfect tense: “did”, “achieved”. It is better to exclude complex sentences altogether.
- Tables are a delicate matter. It is believed that the tables in the summary are out of date. However, many employers insist that this format is useful when presenting places of past work or stages of education. The only inconvenience is that a table in another editor can “move out” and spoil the resume.
- If an applicant held different positions in one company, this should be reflected as a single stage of a working career – 8 years from a junior manager to a department head looks more solid than three or four records for two years.
- Don’t put too much influence on a hobby. If you decide to make this section, then bring one hobby along with the results (competition winner, sale of handmade products).
- When you list personal qualities, show how they helped in work: hard work – overfulfillment of the plan, skill communicate – signed contracts with intractable customers, reliability – no complaints about entrusted products, etc.
- Improvise. The less boring (and at the same time meaningful) the resume is, the more chances that it will “hook” the employer.
In conclusion, it should be noted that a properly designed resume is the key to success in employment.